Brett Arends of the Wall Street Journal showed us how we could celebrate next Turkey Day in high style with an extra $10K in our pockets. Now that’s what I call delicious stuffing!
Mr. Arends polled family, friends, financial advisors and business colleagues to come up with a cornucopia of savings ideas. Here’s the list. See the complete article for more details. So don’t be a turkey, get saving!
- Dump Your TV – use the Internet instead
- Use Loyalty Programs – rake in big savings on travel
- Reschedule Weekly Expenditures – have the housekeeper come in every 2 weeks instead of weekly.
- Peddle Your Car – Pedal your bike instead
- Hang up on Your Landline – use Voice Over IP (VOIP) instead
- Refinance Your Home – that 6% interest rate might have looked mighty sweet when you financed your home but today’s interest rates are over 30% lower.
- Bulk Up with Your Neighbors – share bulk purchases at warehouse stores with friends and neighbors. Mr. Rogers would be proud…
- WWMD – Ask what would MacGyver do and learn to do routine maintenance and repairs that you might otherwise hire out.
- Use the ‘Net to find bargains – shop eBay, Craigslist, Amazon and other sites to haul in big savings. I paid $5 for a new phone headset on Amazon that works better than the $25 set my son bought at Target.
- Book it, Dano! – Save on new book purchases. Learn to love the Library or buy used.
Brett shared these and several more tips in his article. So, if $10,000 sounds like the kind of gravy you’d like to serve with next year’s bird, read the article and get the recipe.